Effective Date: August 31, 2018
Last Updated: May 25, 2020
At Health Union we take your privacy seriously.
How We Collect Information
Information You Provide to Us. We collect identity and contact information that you provide directly to us, including when you register for an account, participate in certain activities on the Site, respond to a survey or provide other feedback about the Site, or contact us with questions or comments about the Site. Identity and contact information may include your name, age, date of birth, e-mail address, phone number, mailing address, gender, profile picture, social media handles and information you provide via Facebook or Google account, if applicable. We will not ask for or request sensitive information, such as government identifiers or financial information. Please do not provide this information to us through e-mails, feedback forms or in any other way unless specifically requested.
Information Generated from Use of the Site. We also collect certain information when you access, browse and use our Site, including information that we automatically receive and record from your browser or mobile platform on our server logs. This information helps us operate and provide our Site to you, and includes standard information about visits and system capabilities, such as:
- Device information – information about the device(s) you use to access our Site, including MAC address, IP address, browser type and version, your location, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, device type, device and application identifiers, operating information, mobile carrier, and cookies;
- Activity information – information about your visits to the Site, including the full URL clickstream to, through, and from the Site, including dates and times; pages you view, searches you run, length of time browsing search results, specific search results you select to view, length of visits to other pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), your engagement with certain variable/dynamic elements of a page and methods used to browse away from the page; and
- Technical information – information about technical performance of the Site during your visit, including page response times and download errors; and information we need and use to facilitate your use of our Site (including to provide access to third party websites and services), such as URL requests, destination IP addresses, or device configuration details.
Some of the information we collect is generated using cookies and beacons. For more details about cookies, beacons, and your choices, see Cookies and Beacons below.
Information from Other Sources. In order to serve you better, we may also combine information you provide to us on the Site or information about your use of the Site with information from third parties, including demographic or public information. Such third parties may include service providers, such as Salesforce.com, Inc., Facebook, Inc., and Google Inc., advertising service partners, and ad networks that help us understand our Users and provide better service to our Users.
To see all the categories of personal information we collect from you, click here.
How Information May Be Used
Personally Identifiable Information. Health Union does not collect personally identifiable information from you unless you have voluntarily provided it to us. Personally Identifiable Information is information that we can use to identify or contact you, such as your username, password, and e-mail address.
We may use Personally Identifiable Information collected on the Site for the following purposes:
- to create and manage your account;
- to provide the Site to you;
- to evaluate the quality of the information available on the Site, provide more relevant content, analyze Site usage, and improve the Site;
- for the specific purpose for which it was volunteered (for example, to respond to your inquiries or fulfill a request you made using the Site);
- to deliver communications or obtain feedback relevant to your use of the Site;
- to develop, market, sell or provide products and services, including advertisements on this Site and other websites;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business, including conducting surveys and market research, developing new products, services, and promotions (such as, for example, special events, programs, offers, contests), analyzing and enhancing existing products, services, and promotions, managing our communications; performing accounting, auditing, and other internal functions;
- for detecting and protecting against error, fraud or other criminal activity; and
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements, process or provisions.
In addition, we may use your information as described in any notice provided at the time you provide the information; and for any other purpose for which you may provide consent.
Health Union encourages you to omit any Personally Identifiable Information or other sensitive information from Your Content. Health Union does not intend for Users to include Personally Identifiable Information in User Content, and does not review or approve all User Content before posting. Your Content will be posted in public areas of the Site and treated by Health Union as non-confidential Non-Personally Identifiable Information in accordance with this Policy, regardless of whether it contains Personally Identifiable Information.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information. We may also gather some Non-Personally Identifiable Information about you during your use or visit to the Site. Non-Personally Identifiable Information is information that cannot be used to identify or contact you. Health Union also may use your Non-Personally Identifiable Information to present you with targeted content and advertisements (including on third party websites and applications). Such targeted content and advertisements may include marketing for the Site, or the sites, products or services of our business and advertising partners. Your Non-Personally Identifiable Information also may be used to optimize and determine the effectiveness of content and advertisements, analyze interactions with content and advertisements.
We may also combine information about your use of our Site with information that we obtain from other Users to use in an aggregate or anonymous manner for similar purposes. Information collected on the Site will be gathered by us directly or through third party service providers working on our behalf.
Links to Third Party Sites
Some services, content and advertisements which appear on the Site are hosted on, or contain links to, Third Party Sites. Health Union does not control or endorse any Third Party Sites. If you provide Personally Identifiable Information to the Third Party Sites, remember that the privacy policies of those third parties apply. We are not responsible or liable for any content presented by or contained on any Third Party Sites, including, but not limited to, any advertising claims or marketing practices. We also are not responsible or liable for any privacy or security policies of any Third Party Site.
In addition, if you participate in the interactive features on the Site (by posting comments or testimonials) or if you share information with social media sites (such as Facebook® or Twitter®), you should be aware that any information you submit there can be read, collected or used by other Users and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the information you choose to disclose and make public in these forums.
How We May Share the Information We Gather
Personally Identifiable Information. We will not sell or share your Personally Identifiable Information with third parties for the third party’s own direct marketing purposes without your express consent. (However, please note that if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement on our Site, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria, even though we have not shared your Personally Identifiable Information.)
Health Union will only share Personally Identifiable Information with a sponsor or third party in the following limited circumstances:
- You have expressly consented to our sharing of the information (for example, if you have indicated an interest in receiving information about a clinical trial, we may share your e-mail address with the trial sponsor);
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request, or to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Health Union, its Users or the public as required or permitted by law; or
- In the event that Health Union or substantially all of its assets are or may be acquired by a third party, or is the subject of any merger, reorganization, or liquidation, in which case Personally Identifiable Information about the Site’s Users may be one of the transferred assets.
Non-Personally Identifiable Information. In addition, we may share or make available Non-Personally Identifiable Information, including aggregated or anonymized data:
- with analytics, search engine, or other service providers that help us improve our Site;
- to report to our affiliates, licensors and service providers, advertising partners and ad networks about the use of various aspects of the Site;
- with other Users or prospective Users of the Site; and
- to advertisers and advertising networks to select and serve relevant advertisements.
Cookies and Beacons
Please note that the following information in this “Cookies and Beacons” Section does not apply to Users located in the European Union (EU). Health Union does not collect or retain any cookies or beacons on Users known to be located in the EU.
- Beacons. Our Site and e-mails may contain small electronic files known as beacons (also referred to as web beacons, clear GIFs, pixel tags and single-pixel GIFs) that permit us to, for example, count Users who have visited those pages or opened an e-mail and for other website-related statistics. Beacons in e-mail marketing campaigns allow us to track your responses and your interests in our content, offerings and web pages. You may use the tools in your device to disable these technologies as well.
Social Media Integration. Our Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from social media platforms. You may choose to connect to us through a social media platform, such as Facebook or Twitter, and when you do, we may collect additional information from you, such as your screen names, profile picture, and contact information through the social media platform. Please be advised that social media platforms may also collect information from you. When you click on a social plug-in, such as Facebook’s “Like” button or Twitter’s “Tweet” button, that particular social network’s plugin will be activated and your browser will directly connect to that provider’s servers. We do not have control over the collection, use and sharing practices of social media platforms and encourage you to review their usage and disclosure policies and practices, including the data security practices, before using the social media platforms.
Your Cookies Preferences. Health Union believes in providing you with an optimal experience and may use the data provided through cookies or web beacons to display advertisements or content that match your preferences on this Site or other websites. You always have the option to set your browser cookies setting as you wish. You can at any time decide to delete all cookies on your computer. It is important for you to know that for an optimal use of Health Union operated sites, your browser should accept cookies, as it will enable us to experience all the tools and functionalities available on the Site.
How We Respond to “Do Not Track” Signals. Our Site does not respond to or alter its practices detailed herein based upon your selection of the “Do Not Track” setting or other “opt out” setting or feature that may be offered by your browser; however, we reserve the right to do so in the future.
Email Communications. You may use the Site without providing any Personally Identifiable Information. If you sign up on this Site to receive electronic newsletters or promotional emails from Health Union, including new ideas, market research, survey and clinical trial opportunities, special offers and event information, or to otherwise receive communications about our or our partners’ products and services, you have the right at any time to opt out of receiving emails from us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or clicking the unsubscribe link provided at the bottom of all communications we send. There is no charge to you to unsubscribe.
Digital Advertising Alliance. Health Union and some of our third party advertisers and display networks participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising and Self-Regulatory Program for Multi-Site Data and allow consumers to opt-out of targeted advertising based on web activity tracking. For more information regarding the foregoing, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. Please note that even if our third party advertisers or display networks participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising or Self-Regulatory Program for Multi-Site Data, and you opt out of targeted advertising based on web activity tracking, you still may receive standard advertisements from us and targeted advertisements from third parties. You may need to re-click the link and follow the instructions provided therein if you delete cookies or other similar technology or use a different computer, device or browser.
Updating Information. The accuracy of the information we have about you is very important. Users may update their information at any time by logging in to their community-specific user account and updating their profile questions. Otherwise, to review or correct your Personally Identifiable Information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Accessing Information. You have the right to request that we disclose personal information that we collect, use, and share about you. You also have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your access right. To request access to your Personally Identifiable Information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to download our request form that you may mail or fax us.
Deleting Information. You have the right to request that we delete your Personally Identifiable Information, subject to some exceptions. Once we have received and confirmed your request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personally Identifiable Information, unless an exception applies. You have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your deletion right. To request that we delete your Personally Identifiable Information, please contact us at email@example.com or click here to download our request form that you may mail or fax us.
Health Union uses reasonable administrative, physical and electronic security measures to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of Personally Identifiable Information. No transmission of data over the internet is guaranteed to be completely secure. It may be possible for third parties not under the control of Health Union to intercept or access transmissions or private communications unlawfully. While we strive to protect personally identifiable information, neither Health Union nor our service providers can ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us over the internet, in particular on open forums. Any such transmission is at your own risk.
Protection of Children
Your California Privacy Rights
We do not share Personally Identifiable Information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes without your consent. California residents under 18 years old, in certain circumstances, may request and obtain removal of Personally Identifiable Information about you and posted on our Site. Please be mindful that this would not ensure complete removal of the content posted on our Site by you. To make any request pursuant to California privacy law, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Site is hosted in the United States of America and not intended for use in other jurisdictions, and does not target residents of other jurisdictions. You agree to abide by applicable United States federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations in connection with your use of the Site and your agreements with us. If you are accessing our Site from another jurisdiction, (i) you do so at your own risk, and (ii) you are solely responsible for compliance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations, including export laws and any regulations and local laws regarding online conduct and content.
In particular, please note that the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) does not apply to Health Union’s activities. Health Union is not established in the European Union (EU) and to our knowledge does not conduct any tracking of individuals located in the EU.
Health Union, LLC
Attn: Privacy Officer
1 International Plaza
Philadelphia, PA 19113